Saturday, March 12, 2022

Play Ball!

Well, I'll happily say it: I'm glad the baseball lockout is over. I don't even mind one certainly unintended outcome: the regular season will last a few more days into October. Oh joy, oh rapture!

I mean that too. While I will readily concede that those involved with the game at the major league level, the owners and the players (too many folks blame the owners solely for the issues within the sport, but the players are looking out for number one as well) adversely affect baseball as a sport, I am and will be a fan all my life. I try to avoid thinking about the troubles surrounding the game as only so much stuff and nonsense. It's a bane on professional sports on almost any level. I don't like what money and notoriety have done even to curling, quite frankly. Money alters things, even athletics. It's just that simple.

Give me baseball over football, basketball, hockey, or soccer any day. I get that some sports have clocks or the games might go on forever. Still, I regard that as a debit, a legitimate object for criticism. How many games are won in the last few seconds simply because the clock is allowed to stop an almost infinite number of times until the team with last possession of the ball can effectively sneak in a win anyway? (I'm looking at you, football). It lacks integrity; it is unsportsmanlike. 

But of timed games generally: you're ultimately only playing keep away. It would be better to play towards a certain number of points that against a clock.

All right, no more ranting in what I intended to be a positive column. Go baseball! I will be watching as soon as spring training begins this coming Friday, and will stay in the bubble all summer and, hopefully, into November.



No comments: