Tuesday, May 24, 2022

A Medical Opinion

As I sat tying my shoes across the examination room from my doctor yesterday I asked, "So, Doc, what's the verdict?"

"You're old and fat," he answered.

I responded, "I get told that for free a dozen times a day. Why do I have to pay a $320 office visit to hear it from you?"

"To make it official," he explained gruffly.

My doctor never did and never would have put it that way. My manner of interpreting the conversation is simply funnier. Oh, he definitely said I was old and fat, in so many words. But he was much more diplomatic and charitable, properly mixing in all the old saws about continuing to exercise and eating better (and less), cushioned in the right sense of calm urgency. 

Perhaps that's why it's $320 for the office visit. I believe most of us would measure our words much more carefully for that kind of money.


No comments: