Friday, May 13, 2022

Kleenex Philosophy

I don't mind serious discussions of serious issues. In fact, I rather love it. But I do mind when someone tries to chime into a conversation with nothing more than shallow, insulting intent. 

A few days ago I posted on Facebook something serious about a serious issue. I won't say which issue because that is not important in this context. My complaint applies to conversation generally on any critical question. But to get on with it, one response from a person who disagreed with my point was merely a derisive laughing out loud smiley face emoji.

You know what that tells me, poster? That you have nothing relevant to add to the debate. In fact, I have to believe that you posted such a timeless response because you know you have nothing better to say about the issue. Your own heart teaches you that all your arguments are nonsensical, irrational. You know it. So your contribution to the discussion is derision. It's all you have.

If you don't want to or, as appears to be the case all too often, can't offer anything serious to a serious discussion, then you can blow your opinion out your nose. In serious debate, comment intelligently or don't comment at all. Leave your snide, unscrupulous, pig headed beliefs where they belong: on a Kleenex in a trash can.

No comments: