Sunday, May 22, 2022

Riddle Me This

Are there more bad drivers these days, or do we just notice them more as we have more years of driving experience behind us? I don't know the answer. But I know I see a lot of bad driving.

Some of it, no doubt, is that too many folks are readily distracted. Three times this past week alone I've had to tap my horn because the driver in front of me hadn't moved several seconds after the light had changed. I've even driven around cars which can't seem to obey green lights. Put your phone down, honey.

Yesterday on the freeway as I motored along in the right lane I was passed by a car in the center lane. No surprise there, right? Yet I noticed his signal on; his left blinker in fact. Okay, he wanted to change lanes. Only he soon moved into the right lane despite the left indicator clearly displaying the opposite intent. What's worse, he inexplicably stopped at the top of the next exit smack in the middle of the ramp. No coasting as though the engine had died: bright brake lights came on and he virtually parked with no attempt to jump onto the shoulder. I could have plowed right into him if I hadn't noticed. What up with that?

I swerved around him as I had no time to stop. It didn't help that the driver at the bottom of the ramp was another nitwit who couldn't figure out what green meant.

So: more bad drivers or simply a bad Saturday morning out and about for yours truly? I'm not sure, and the other drivers aren't helping me figure it out.

No comments: