Wednesday, January 10, 2024

What the Future Brings

A week ago we weren't expecting any snow for this coming Friday in Detroit. This morning the local weather scientists are saying we should get 4 to 8 inches. Yesterday it was supposed to be 2 to 4. Who knows what tomorrow might bring.

I get it, I get it, I get it. Weather prediction isn't quite an exact science. Chuck Gaidica, a renowned weather reporter around these parts, once remarked that after 5 to 7 days all bets are off on forecasting. 

Makes sense to me. What is so irritating on the matter is that so many prognosticators (I don't think Gaidica is among them, to be fair) tell us that because of ever increasing global warming, a phenomena surely closely reliant on weather, we'll have a catastastroke in ten or twelve years. Never mind that the ten or twelve year countdown to doomsday seems to start over, oh, every 10 or 12 years.

If you can't tell me last Friday how much snow we'll have this Friday, I ain't got much confidence in what you assert for a decade from now. Period. End of report.

No comments: