Saturday, January 20, 2024

Prove It

Science is, as I've said, good, but it's much more limited than often thought. Not all truth is scientific.

Stealing, for example, is wrong. I think we can all agree on that. But does science demonstrate to us that it is? 

Well, show me the experiments which science has set up which proves it and we'll talk. Tell me about the hypothesis that theft is wrong and how you've tested for that, trying to both prove and disprove that hypothesis, and I might concede that all knowledge is scientific. Otherwise, you've got nothing. You're in out of your depth.

Science can't prove abstractions, yet abstractions are very often good and true. Indeed, they're really what we live off of. We prove abstractions through reason and logic, not science. That's really all there is to it.

No comments: