Friday, January 17, 2020

Climate change doesn't worry me

I've been a bit of a weather wonk for years: I like to know what's coming. But I have no idea what's coming tomorrow (Saturday, in this case). And that's because the weather forecasters don't seem to know.

One day before a winter storm is supposed to hit Detroit I find two different weather sites with two different projections. One says 3-5 inches of snow, the other says only about an inch. Further one says a high of 25 on Sunday while the other insists it will be 40. One has it cools through the first part of next week, the other warm. But one thing all weather prognosticators agree on: Miami will be underwater in the year 2100.

I do not believe them. If they can't be in agreement about how much snow Detroit will get tomorrow I have no trust in them over conditions 80 years from now. I get it that's its' not an exact science, and that conditions change. But if conditions can change dramatically over a few days (and thus alter forecasts) how much can things change over several decades?

Too much to know, ahem, whether Miami will be part of the ocean in a few years.

No comments: