Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Shaving soap and motor oil

Now I certainly don't mind a bargain, and the Internet can be a wonderful thing. I just recently found via the web two items I struggle to find in brick and mortar stores: shaving soap and wrap around coffee filters. I discovered very good prices and free shipping for reasonably large quantities of each. The deals were so good that I almost doubled them. But it occurred to me that it gets a bit silly to plan too far into the future on items which will surely be available later and under similar deals. Put simply, I don't need to buy five years ahead on shaving soap.

Me Pops had a friend, I'll call him Cloyce just to give him a name, who changed the oil in both his and his wife's (I'll call her Mrs. Cloyce just to give her a name) cars on his own. No issue there of course. It's his right. So he was constantly on the lookout for good oil prices. No issue there either. It makes good sense. Only he went, I believe anyways, more than a bit overboard on that last point.

He reached the point where he had accumulated 48 cases of motor oil, stacked all around his basement. That's 24 quarts per case for, let me get my calculator out...1,152 quarts of oil. And almost two dozen filters, twelve each for each one of their cars. Especially considering he and Mrs. Cloyce were retired and only drove around town (they flew to major destinations) Cloyce had far more motor oil than he would ever need. By his own admittance he only had to change the oil once or twice a year per car. Yet when he stumbled upon a sale, he'd buy another case. Or two.

That's going just a little beyond the call of duty I think. But hey, his money, right?










No comments: