Monday, January 13, 2020

Picking up women at Church

As I slid out of my van yesterday at a Dearborn McDonald's I was startled by a hearty 'Hello!' and the sight of a man who had approached within about five feet of me. Then he stopped, himself startled. "Oh, I'm sorry," he quickly explained. "I thought you my friend I was waiting for. He drives the same kind of car you do."

"No problem," I assured him. He went on his way and I on mine. But it reminded me of a similar incident years ago.

After Church one day I made my exit and hopped into my van to, of course, head home. Right after I started the engine the passenger door swung open suddenly. That concerned me, as I had went to Mass alone.

I turned my head sharply to find myself staring at the woman who had opened my door. We glared at one another, each surely asking the same question: what are you doing in my car?  

The tension in the air was palpable.

Then she laughed out. Roared in laughter in fact. "I'm very sorry!" she said. "I thought this was my husband's car!" Sure enough, right in front of me was a van identical to mine.

"No worries!" I responded. I think we were both relieved at that point.

No comments: