Thursday, August 20, 2020

If I had a hammer

This is going to be one of those silly stories which I find funnier perhaps than it actually was. But, hey, my blog, my rules.

Whenever we install fittings into the ends of drain snake cables, we always place the cable end onto the flat, back part of a vise and hammer the final wrap of the steel cable down so that it's flush against the end of the fitting. Usually it takes a couple, maybe three, hard raps on the cable to align everything.

My brother Phil beats holy hell out of them. Setting the cable on the back of the vise he proceeds to positively slam the cable into submission, bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam, then checks his work. Never, and I mean never, satisfied that he has the end properly subdued, he always repeats the process, bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam, and will then allow cable and fitting to follow the shaft of light to their final destiny.

That, for me, is funny enough. But one day years ago as Phil worked on cables me Pops had come up to me to talk about something or another which needed doing at the Shop. Dad of course was in front of me talking. But he stood with his back to Phil. I could see my brother clearly as he toiled.

Dad began explaining what he wanted done while I, as surreptitiously as I could, looked at him as he spoke while glancing at Phil installing a fitting. I knew what was coming: my brother studied this fitting and laid it on the vise, then bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam.

As he struck the errant cable wrap Pops, annoyed at the interruption, pursed his lips, let out a harsh breath through his nose, closed his eyes, and let his head drop slightly into his chest. When Phil stopped Dad began talking again.

I realized what the immediate future held though. Phil had pulled the cable up for inspection, was unsatisfied, and went at it anew, bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam, interrupting me Pops again who reacted the exact same way. Pursed lips, harsh nasal exhalation, closed eyes, drooped head. And it was all I could do not to laugh, not only seeing Dad's frustration but anticipating it that second time with Pops completely unawares.

Maybe you had to be there. But I still find it hilarious, though I bit my tongue not to laugh at the time. 

No comments: