Saturday, August 29, 2020

The trouble with justice

I sure opened a can of worms yesterday with my Facebook post. I simply remarked that no sports were cancelled for Cannon Hinnant, a wholly innocent five year old boy murdered in cold blood. The implication (if it isn't obvious enough) is that athletes are stopping play to protest guys who got in trouble with the cops without regard for circumstances over which the trouble began. I find that repugnant, quite honestly. Say what you want about George Floyd or Jacob Blake, and I believe myself that there's evidence enough with each incident that the police might have done wrong, they brought it on themselves to a degree. Yet we're okay destroying property and walking off our jobs for that. I can't be the only one who sees something wrong with that picture.

The thing is, the thing we need to remember when we're talking about doing the right thing, is that justice at the end of the day is individual. If George Floyd was wronged, he was wronged, and it was the Minneapolis police who wronged him. If Jacob Blake was wronged it was the Kenosha police who wronged him. Neither can or should be taken as pro forma evidence of systemic racism. I fear we are superimposing an idea on top of essentially individual circumstances when we do that. 

That's not justice. For anyone.



No comments: