Wednesday, August 19, 2020

My brother's a quarter horse

'Give no quarter' is an English phrase meaning cut no slack, show no mercy. My brother Phil gives no quarter. You'll see what I mean in a minute.

As a salesman, I have no trouble talking discounts if the amount is there to warrant it. I don't believe Phil minds either, if things are fair and equitable to all. Yet there are customers we deal with who, to use Phil's own words, "If you tell them it's free they'll ask you to deliver it." He means there are folks who expect a break no matter what.

To illustrate, one day when I was gone and he had the run of the Shop, as guy came in who always, always angled for a better price. Phil would not give an inch.

"C'mon, man, how about ten off?" he asked. Phil responded negatively.

"A couple dollars? A dollar?" the man pleaded. Phil remained steadfast in holding the line.

The guy continued, "How about a quarter?"

"Nope," my brother answered.

"You mean a quarter means that much to you Cosgriff?"

Phil replied with out missing a beat, "It means that much to you."

Well. Said. And now you know he gives no quarter.



No comments: