Sunday, August 2, 2020

What we can do

Unless we are particularly blessed we struggle with things. It's simply part of the human condition. I think though that half (if not more) of dealing with the pressures and issues of everyday life lies in not allowing them to root at you; not allowing them to consume your being.

Lord knows I struggle with that. But to take the point further despite my own failures on the matter we really do need to learn, as that old saw instructs us, to know the difference between what we can and cannot control. Control what you can. Don't fret too much about the rest.

I can't control the recent events, peaceful protests or riots or whatever they actually are, in Portland. I can have nearly zero affect on them. As such, I need to pray that all will be well and let the problem go. It is not, and I do not mean this as flippantly as I may be accused, my problem, in any direct and immediate sense. We can apply this salve to quite a lot of troubles in the world too.

I am not in any way, shape, or form saying that we should not do anything at all with regard to Portland, or COVID, or world peace, world hunger, or world insert your own pet cause here. But let's face it: what all can we do? After voting and talking among your friends and being charitable with your money and time, what else is there that a little man or woman can do? Because in the grand scheme of things, most of us are, on Earth, little men and women.

Where does that leave us? I believes it leaves us at the task of making ourselves better by looking at the ways we can directly help others. I don't expect that when we meet St. Peter at the pearly gates he's going to sit back, fold his hands across his chest, let out a heavy sigh and ask "So why didn't you end the crisis in Portland?" I suspect, unless you were at the time of Portland unrest the President of the United States or Mayor of that city, we will be asked questions like, "Why didn't you offer to jump start your neighbor's car that bitter winter morning?"

"Why didn't you buy that street urchin something to eat?"

"Why didn't you give your change to Ronald McDonald House?"

If we do those things or a great many similar others we may well become big men and women to those folks. We certainly will become better men and women ourselves.


No comments: