Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Mad at McDonald's

I came home from Hessel, in Michigan's glorious Upper Peninsula, early yesterday morning. I left our place at around 4:45, low on gas but figuring that I could make St. Ignace, the last town before the Mackinaw Bridge which leads into Michigan's cool yet not so glorious Lower Peninsula (sorry, Trolls). I safely presumed there would be gas stations open there. And restaurants, because I had eaten everything substantial which I had bought in Hessel and was hungry.

Gas stations were indeed available. I gassed up the new old van and bought an extra large coffee for the road trip ahead of me. You simply must have an extra large coffee on a road trip, of course. And leaving the station for MacDonald's, I was a bit chagrined to find Mickey D's not open. And I thought, "Why aren't they open at 5:30?" Because they should be, right?

Wrong, quite wrong, as I quickly told myself. It was arrogance on my part to presume the McDonald's in St. Ignace, Michigan had to be open at 5:30 in the morning merely because it would serve my desire, my convenience. But it leads me to wonder how many other wrong expectations I might hold about the world around me. In my case, as I think about it, there are many. How about you?

So to the St. Ignace McDonald's, I offer you an apology you don't know you deserve, because I should at least say it to someone. And the situation caused me to check my thoughts when the McDonald's at Indian River, the next closest McDonald's along my route, was still closed thirty minutes later.

No comments: