Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Why I cannot vote for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris

I am going to be as charitable as I can with this piece. My honest intention with everything I write is not to offend people, especially family and friends. I know I have and will likely again fail this goal. Yet there are things which must be said, some of them in self defense, some because I really believe that not saying them is to neglect my duty as a Christian. So I am going to explain why I cannot vote for the Biden-Harris ticket.

First and foremost, they are pro-abortion up to the moment of birth in a Democrat Party which is creeping towards outright infanticide. Or is Governor Northam an outlier? Of that I'm skeptical. The Party as a whole sure hasn't rushed to condemn him any way you slice it. And was I the only one who heard the cheering when Governor Cuomo signed the abortion until birth law in New York? Both positions are reprehensible, indefensible, and wholly contradictory to Christian ideals.

You may assert that this amounts to single issue voting. That is not the case, as I will get to in a moment. I will admit that abortion is the litmus test question for me. But if that amounts to single issue voting I can't think of another issue which would merit such consideration. It is surely a greater evil than racism or sexism or gun violence. While racism certainly can involve murder, it does not of necessity involve it. Abortion involves murder Every. Single. Time. No exceptions. This includes, of course, the abortion of minority children and female children too. The only way around this is to assert that abortion is not murder. Well, assert it then. But you would be wrong. Human women have human children. And we quite honestly don't need the Bible to know that. Common sense, right reason, says so.

I have little respect for the argument that we can't force our beliefs on others. We do that All. The. Time. Laws making us drive on the right hand side of the road are enforcing a belief in order on the highways as necessary and proper, and rightly. Obamacare forced a belief on me which I found completely repugnant, indeed tyrannical, yet there were no cries against forcing a belief there. All public acts force beliefs. Force alone is no valid argument against anti-abortion laws.

To be sure, I cannot force matters of pure faith upon anyone. I cannot make you attend Church via legal order nor support legislation compelling you to confess your sins to a priest. Yet those are indeed entirely matters of faith, and faith itself teaches that it must be freely accepted. Abortion is a moral issue which we in the body politic have the right to oppose no matter what our personal backgrounds or belief systems.

But as I said, it's about more than abortion, though all the other issues pale in comparison. The ticket is blatantly anti-Catholic. Mr. Biden may say what he wants about the importance of his Catholic faith; his words and actions render his pablum meaningless. Again, he supports abortion. He also supports making Catholic medical centers and practices pay for contraception. He wants to make religious institutions go against their most basic principles. For her part, Ms. Harris openly believes that Catholics should not be on the Federal bench, opposing one appointee merely because he was in the Knights of Columbus, a charitable organization which does much good in communities across America. Take a look at this if you will, as I take a certain delight that it comes from a Jesuit source, Jesuits being the most liberal of Catholics:

https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2020/08/20/kamala-harris-knights-of-columbus-catholic

And if abortion and being anti-Catholic means little to you, Ms. Harris will take your guns too. She's made that clear as well.

Truthfully, every question after these, while perhaps important enough on their own and in need of discussion and analysis, do not rise to the critical levels of abortion and anti-Catholicism (and of course by easy extension anti-Christianity in general). Although I wouldn't like it, I could live with bloated government, high taxes, and a smaller military more quickly than I could abortion and infanticide. If we won't support life at its most critical and defenseless, as the Nun who CNN and MSNBC wouldn't show speaking from the Republican Convention opined so very well (you can see it here: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-at-rnc-nun-lauds-trump-for-being-anti-abortion ), can we trust Biden and Harris's commitment to humanity generally?

I don't think so. And that is why I cannot, as a faithful Catholic in good conscience, vote for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. I encourage my Catholic and Christian brethren to vote likewise.

No comments: