Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Max and Gilligan

This past Sunday I wrote about watching a Get Smart marathon. The show was of course about a bumbling secret agent, Maxwell Smart, who was a lovable dolt. He drove his boss, who was only known the Chief, crazy. Yet things always seemed to work out despite Max. I suppose they'd have to; not much of a comedy if the lead character actually gets killed because of his stupidity.

I happened into an old friend yesterday (I'll call him Cloyce just to give him a name) and mentioned that I spent a lot of the weekend watching the marathon. He asked, "Did you see the one where Max did something dumb and the Chief yelled at him, Max!"

"Cloyce," I said, "That's like asking if I saw the Gilligan's Island episode where they almost got off the island but Gilligan messed it up."

Cloyce is a bit like Max when you think about it.


No comments: