Thursday, December 10, 2020

Comic books

By comic books I do not mean what you think I mean by comic books. While they're certainly some great comics out there, I'm talking about comedy books. Comic novels.

I have read some great books on thought, history, and personages. Many of my favorite books are classic detective stories, tales I would not have expected to like while still in my teens. I have read all the original Sherlock Holmes books and short stories (The Hound of the Baskervilles may be the best non-fiction book ever) as well as all the canon Ellery Queen murder cases. And On the Eight Day stands out even though it is the least Ellery like of all his whodunits; my favorite of those is The Egyptian Cross Mystery. One of his detective stories I think he might have meant as comic, There was an Old Woman, a book I found strange given EQ's overall collection of works. But that aside put aside, I can't recall reading any great comedy novels.

I've read Robert Heinlein's Job: A Comedy of Justice but upon reflection I'm not sure it qualifies as a true comedy. He's know as a science fiction writer and I like his straight sci-fi better. Although I can't ultimately agree with his basic philosophy, he's one of those rare people whom I can read with profound enjoyment even though I firmly believe his outlook on everything wrong. His stuff is that well written and engaging.

I've read Magic Kingdom For Sale: Cheap, by Terry Brooks. I liked it, and if you like takeoffs on Tolkien style fantasy it's worth a read but not laugh out loud funny. But after that I can't think of any good comic novel I've even came across let alone read. The few I've tried never draw me in, never keep my interest. 

Any suggestions, dear readers? To save you trouble, the only comic novel I've really liked is Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis. It was funny enough but became dry towards the end.


No comments: