Tuesday, December 29, 2020

The time in between

We all like this part of the Christmas season, don't we? The week in between Christmas and New Years Day, where the holiday feel is still upon us yet the exhaustion of the time is gone? I know I do.

It isn't, and I feel as though I say this a lot, that I don't like Christmas and even the anticipation of Christmas. Yet I don't care at all for the trappings of it. I am admittedly lazy about the decorations and preparations for Christmas. This is in part because I am lazy about what I consider unimportant (and much of what 'must' get done for Christmas is indeed unimportant) but also because the devil in the details has reached the point of taking over Christmas. Christmas is spectacularly important on its own. We do not need the perfect backdrop to improve on that. I'd be okay simply enjoying time with family and friends watching the specials, listening to the carols, eating pizza and leaving it at that.

The week in between I think supports this point. We're beyond the traps yet still have time to enjoy that holiday feeling. The pressure and the worry, the very things which Christmas is supposed to relieve us of (yet we hoist upon ourselves), is actually gone. We can simply enjoy the time now.

I'm not sure Christmas gets any better than this week in between.

No comments: