Friday, December 11, 2020

Reflections on walking

I took a morning walk this morning, well before sunrise. I was out the door at 6:20 in fact. Why not? It was a warm morning as mornings in December go, about 40 degrees, and no rain or snow in sight.

Years ago I would have never gone out in the dark just to traipse around the neighborhood. You never know where the boogeyman might be laying in wait for you, right? If anything I would be out long enough to get into my car and get going somewhere. But the childish fears of the dark are gone. I simply don't fret about it. I just walk. 

I do find too that in some ways being out in the dark is as compelling as being out in the sunlight. 6:20 in July is typically sunny and comfortable. 6:20 in December is cold yet psychologically comfortable if isolated. I feel delight in both, truth be told.

To be sure, I keep my head on a bit of a swivel this time of year. But I try to do that in summer as well. I keep a watchful stare far into the darkness or distance as the case may be for odd movements or shadows. Yet they are invariably simply other folks walking themselves or their dogs, or on the way to work. The world may be a dangerous place. It just ain't all that dangerous when you think about it.

My two philosophic cents for you this morning. Have a great Friday all!


No comments: