Saturday, November 27, 2021

Pity the Pups

My son and his family, the Ohio Cosgriffs, are up this weekend for Thanksgiving. They brought their dogs along with them, and that's cool. Gaspode and Riley are quite welcome here at this one branch of the Michigan Cosgriffs.

Naturally enough, the animals pay more attention to my son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter than to me, at least when the aforementioned folks are nearby. Yet they have learned to begrudgingly live with the lesser evil if their more direct adoptors are not at hand.

Yesterday the Ohioans went shopping, leaving the pups home with me. The pets spent the appropriate amount of time pining for their masters, whining a bit and routinely marching between the living room window and the closed dining room door where they had witnessed the departure of their Ohio family.

But they eventually gave that up and, to my surprise, began paying attention to me. I was working at the desktop computer, doing real work and not playing video poker at all, mind you, occasionally arising for a cup of coffee or to make myself a turkey sandwich or whatever. Quickly enough the dogs would jump off the couch where they had laid, having given up all hope of their favored humans returning, and follow me around. 

I hope it was to show that they loved me and wanted to make sure I didn't leave them either. Yet I suspect it was really only in the hope of getting a treat or two out of pity. 

They did get that. After all, I'm not inhuman, even knowing they would abandon me when the Ohio Cosgriffs returned. Which they promptly did.


No comments: