Thursday, November 4, 2021

Screwing Up My Schedule

For the last six or seven years I have made it a habit of being in bed by about 6, yes, 6 PM. It works for my schedule: if I need to be up for a business trip (I'm in sales and cover two states and part of a third) I can roll out of bed at two or two-thirty in the morning and have had a full night's sleep. This time of year it's not so bad as it's dark already by my bedtime, but it can feel odd in June when the Sun is still in full shine.

When I don't have work I can use those early morning hours to read or answer email or work on my writing or watch ancient TV shows. Our Miss Brooks was quick with a quip, I've discovered. That being so, the practice has rather turned my world a bit on end.

In the last two weeks I've went out to a couple of movies, one last Tuesday and again last night. That's no big deal for most folks. Yet for me, driving home at 9 or 10 at night felt profoundly weird. There was traffic and everything. It was so unusual for me to be in the evening darkness.

I'm almost never awake let alone out and about at those times of the day anymore. It felt like it used to feel ages ago, when I was then rarely up in the wee hours before that became my standard. The world turned upside down. 

But, hey. They were good movies and worth the change of pace. It's going to take me until Monday to get my timing back in place though.

No comments: