Tuesday, November 9, 2021

We're Dune-ed

“When I am Weaker Than You, I ask you for Freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am Stronger than you, I take away your Freedom Because that is according to my principles.”

The above quote is from the science fiction author Frank Herbert, who penned the classic Dune. It was first brought to my attention by my eldest son. There is much truth to it.

At the risk of kicking up the sand, although as I've said before (in intent if nothing else) I see no reason to allow a chance of controversy to get in the way of my blog, the quote is an on spot indictment of the modern American Progressive. I mean it.

Do you think it not so? Well, consider this: years ago when I would decry the reprehensible or gratuitous content of music or television programs I would be told by my liberal friends something like: 'Just turn off the radio' or 'Change the channel'. If you don't like it, don't listen to or watch it. Why was I told this? So that I would not suppress freedom of expression. Because it would be wrong, obviously, to keep anyone from expressing something in any way or manner they deemed fit for themselves. Didn't I, after all, believe in Freedom? To that challenge I reply with one name.

Dave Chappelle. 

Why, my dear progressive comrades, can he not be afforded the same freedom of expression, the same platform as the depraved scripts and tunes of yesteryear? Why can you not simply change the channel? The only reason I can see is that because your ox is being gored this time around. The obvious conclusion is that the thoughts and actions with which you disagree can be questioned, denigrated, and denied a seat in the arena. Why is this?

Because the modern progressive doesn't really believe in freedom. It is merely a tool for their use when their side isn't carrying the day. Yet when it feels as though it is winning the culture wars, freedom is out the door. It's that simple.

I really think I must read more Dune. It makes me wonder what other gems Mr. Herbert has among his volumes.

No comments: