Sunday, July 31, 2022

A Less Gracious God

Walking about Woodbridge yesterday morning a tad before six, I found myself marveling at the rising dawn. The sky was somewhat deep blue still, the yellow-orange of the creeping Sun yet just below the eastern horizon. Smiling, I felt graced by its beauty. I feel similarly impressed by the array of stars in the darkest night.

There's an old idea that we human beings are flukes, accidents of nature in an ever expanding universe. I don't believe that. Sure, we are comparatively tiny in that context. But we shouldn't read much into it.

For me, the expanse of creation is simply awe inspiring. What's even more inspiring is that we were created to not only experience it but to actively participate, to work with our Creator in bringing more out of His work. That's not meaningless or insignificant. It's dignity itself.

A less gracious God would not have given us such opportunities. He would not have given us glorious mornings or sublime starry nights. He would not have allowed us the power to reflect on them. He would not have given us the ability to be one with Him as we interact with creation. 

I am glad for my physical smallness that I may more greatly appreciate the spectacular universe around me. We are not specks of nothingness in an enormous universe. By the grace of God, we are so much more. Our smallness offers us that unique and powerful perspective.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the way you said that ,very much ,

Charles Martin Cosgriff said...

Thank you!