Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Two Score and Three Years Ago

As I continue (and hope to continue even further) into dotage I must admit wondering just what aging means. At times I feel it's nothing more than forever pointing at something and exclaiming; "I remember that!"

A few minutes ago I watched the trailer for Weird, the completely faked documentary of Weird Al Yankovic. It stars Daniel Radcliffe as Al. 

Harry Potter, I'm sorry, Mister Potter as Professor Snape would say, as the embodiment of a singer who I grew up admiring (my triune forces in comedy are the Marx Brothers, Monty Python, and Weird Al Yankovic) is either a triumph of casting or, well, just plain weird. And as Weird Al himself is all in with the project, I'm leaning towards weird. Heavily. 

But to the point: as I watched the minute long advert all I could think was, I remember Weird Al's arrival. I remember clearly (well, clearly in that vague, dream like sense) Al's arrival on the stage in 1979 or so. Hence my title: two score (forty years) and three years back I was listening to Weird Al on the syndicated Doctor Demento radio show (Rainn Wilson is Dr. Demento in the movie by the way) and thinking that that guy's funny. Truly hilarious in fact. 

And now I'm anticipating a fake story about him, about which I literally pointed at my computer screen and exclaimed, "I remember that!" about Weird Al's arrival. 

Dotage, perhaps, is more immanent than I might care to admit.

No comments: