Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Too Cheap to Charge

It's a good thing that, in this Internet age, we can check things quickly. It helps a guy to hold his temper.

While checking my bank account online I was informed in a side column that there was all of a 99 cent charge on my credit card. The news flustered me: I would never charge 99 cents. I would pay it on the spot. What's going on here? Did someone hack my account?

Calm down, Marty. I'm sure, myself assured myself, that if you were hacked they're be far more brazen than a hair under a dollar purchase. If some heathen was planning on ruining your credit, they'd surely ding you for well more than that. 

All right, I argued back at myself indignantly, what numbskull would charge such a small amount? Not knocking those who I'm sure would, but it's not my style. It upset me. Let's just find out what knucklehead put 99 cents on my card.

Of course it was me. I had bought a Kindle book for that amount and promptly disremembered it. Apparently I had tied my card into Amazon and long forgotten that factoid. 

I went ahead and paid the card off while I was on the banking site. But I still grumbled over it.


No comments: