Thursday, May 23, 2024

Human Definition

Should we be defined by our careers? To a point, I suppose, but generally no. Even then, where our jobs may be of great importance, can what we do for a living be as important as what we do among family and friends in our personal lives?

Don't get me wrong: work is necessary, just, and holy itself when seen as a way to glorify God through the talents He has given us and by our efforts to use them wisely and well. Yet I would rather be known as a good Catholic and decent human being than a guy who knows a few things about drain snakes. Anyone can learn that. But only I can be the me who acts rightly and treats others well.

I think that's what gets lost in the recent Harrison Butker speech. We shouldn't care per se about the degrees we've earned or the jobs we hold. They're mere means to an end. One ESPN reporter (I'm too lazy too look up who she is or what she said exactly) remarked that the sportsball network won't be beside me on my deathbed but my family and friends will. That's because she's more important to them than her career may be.

This of course applies to men and women alike. And it requires decisions which the individuals involved in given situations have to sort out for themselves. But career versus family? That decision shouldn't even be close. Prioritize you life well, and don't be defined by the less important things in this world.




No comments: