Friday, August 2, 2024

Almost Two Years

Mom's been gone coming up on two years now. It's amazing the silly things which pluck recollections from the back of your mind.

Yesterday I went to the pantry for napkins, just run of the mill white paper napkins, the last of a monstrous multi-pack I bought at a warehouse store in August 2022. I don't even understand why that came to mind, but there you are. I then immediately thought, Mom was with me when I bought these.

I'm not really super depressed, to be honest. Kind of melancholy, yes, and certainly sad. How in the world dinner napkins could bring something like that out, I don't know. But images of her being with me, holding onto the shopping cart for support, and all those other Sundays with Mom just came right out. I honestly find it just a little bit funny too, so it's not all bad. There's a sense of wonder why involved. 

Still, something as mundane as getting a napkin from the pantry has me missing her. So it goes.


No comments: