Wednesday, August 21, 2024

The Paranoia Grows

I think advertising exists solely to develop paranoia in the body politic. It does this by causing worry over our actual, physical bodies.

Deodorant has been a medicine cabinet staple for as long as I can remember. I get that: certain odors are unpleasant for everyone. I brush my teeth twice daily and even use a mouthwash which 'kills germs missed by brushing alone AND strengthens enamel' (two jobs in one? Who can resist?). I use foot powder. Give me my regular old Old Spice, something I've emphasized to an admittedly bizarre extreme in these very environs, and I'm fine. 

At least, I thought I was fine. Now there are, all over the place, ads for whole body deodorants. Do I really need that? Is the odor from back of my knees annoying folks? I'm sure that's not an issue. I have many more, and much more effective, ways of being a pest. 

Well, I know what they're talking about, and all I can say is, I'm clean. When I'm not clean I get clean. The advertising oligarchs aren't going to make me any more paranoid. I assure you, I've quite cornered that market all on my own. The paranoids have been after me for ages.

No comments: