Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Follow Up

Yesterday I spoke about being at a hard rock show at the Upper Peninsula State Fair. Here's a little more.

You want to talk about a driving beat and harsh bass guitar licks? I was wearing a baseball cap during the performances, and the cap was vibrating on almost every song. Every time the drummer struck one of the 9,000 drums or cymbals on his set (when did rock music drum sets become so complicated?) or the bass player strummed a note, my cap literally vibrated along with it. 

Granted, we were pretty close to the stage (row 18 for what that's worth) and it was, at the risk of understatement, loud. But I never imagined a cap playing along to the beat.

I think my biggest fear, and me son Charlie expressed a similar concern afterwards, was whether my hearing would be affected. "ARE YOU HEARING OKAY, DAD?" he asked me as we got into the newer older van to go back to Hessel.

"YES, THE SHEARING WAS ALL RIGHT," I answered. 

No, it wasn't like that. We could each talk and hear normally, a fact that surprised the both of us.

No comments: