Saturday, August 3, 2024

Texting

A customer texted me this morning that he would be later than he expected, closer to 10:30 rather than around 9 as he hoped. I texted back a thank you for the heads up, and see you then. That's when it occurred to be: look at you two old duffers (he's about my age) texting. Pretty soon you'll be lip synching on TikTok or whatever it is the kids do these days.

I must admit it's something I would not have expected not that long ago. Yet technology will have its way, and we all ought to embrace that which improves our lot in life. There is after all that tendency as we age to question the new - why should I do it that way? - when it means altering even basic habits.

Some lament that it reduces the direct personal touch, isolating us all the more from one another. I don't think that that's an entirely unfair criticism. Still, texts allow us to get information in a manner convenient for all involved. If I send a text and the recipient is occupied, he can answer at his leisure. Calling is still an option when time is critical. 

Don't get me wrong. I still believe that you have to show me a good reason to change before I effect it. Change merely to change is rather pointless even where there's no harm. But I can be taught. I'll text you about it after I post my blog.

No comments: