Friday, August 2, 2024

Nail on the Head

A reviewer on Amazon offered this analysis of my book A Subtle Armageddon, which he also gave five stars out of five: 

It took me a few pages to get into the groove with this book, because the narrative style is different. It is very metered, and not long on dialogue. But the plot kind of demands that. And once you have read a few pages, you realize that there is a lot of substance here. I'm glad I got into the groove and read it. Thoroughly good and thought provoking piece of fiction.

This is about the most fair review I could have for the story. It indeed starts slow, and is plodding: I knew that when I wrote it. I'll even go so far as to say it's obscure enough at first that I sometimes have trouble rereading it myself. But I felt constrained by the circumstances I had set up for the tale. The world I described at the beginning had to be boring. It couldn't be dynamic. There wasn't anything to cause conflict. 

As A Subtle Armageddon rolls on, it picks up. There is wonder and pathos, discovery, anger, fear and reassurance. It's my favorite of my books, though I honestly understand when folks struggle getting into it. Yet the payoff, I hope anyway, is worth it.

Here's a link if you're curious. Tell me what you think.



No comments: