Wednesday, July 24, 2019

A very expensive street

The title above is a pun, which I will explain. Channel 4 here in the D reports that Avery, the street I live on and have lived on my whole life, is currently the most expensive street in the city. Homes.com claims that the average home value is to me an unbelievable $1.3 million. You can read the story and watch the video here:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/which-are-the-most-expensive-streets-in-detroit

I really do have a difficult time believing this. My first reaction was, what, did the street value of crack suddenly surge?

Hey, I'm a lifelong Detroiter. I can make those jokes.

Still, $1.3 mil? Even granting that this surely means finished homes, and recognizing that as we've gentrified the neighborhood (Woodbridge) has improved quite a bit, that number just seems outlandish. Palmer Park and Indian Village must have pricier homes that those of mine and my neighbors.

Be that as it may, I will admit to a certain snobbish delight in thinking that so many of my suburban friends and family are now officially put in their place. Marty waited it out, and now lives in a better neighborhood than they do.


No comments: