Wednesday, July 10, 2019

First Impressions of Texas

I'll probably talk a lot about my current trip in the next few days, but as I have to start somewhere I'll start with Texas.

I can't say much about the state as a whole as I'm only experiencing the panhandle. But the panhandle seems flat, wide, and desolate. Until you get to Amarillo, there aren't a lot of gas options either. The option I stumbled across was unique for 2019.

An attendant pumped gas for me, which was nice, but the real throwback was the pump itself. It was not digital; it still had the old metal rollers which counted out the gallons and the price mechanically. I haven't seen one of those actually at work in at least twenty five years. Probably thirty.

And although everything went well and the attendant was a pleasant fellow to talk to, it is the very definition of desolate if you ask me.

No comments: