Sunday, July 21, 2019

Hot diggity sonora dog

I love hot dogs. My taste in cuisine (notice the pun?) is and always has been quite simple. Hot dogs are right at the top of that list. Hot dogs, I will argue, should be their own food group. I used to wonder if they could ever be improved upon at all.

The people of Tucson and surrounds have demonstrated to me that yes, even the ideal food can be improved upon enough to satisfy the most refined palate. They introduced to the world the sonora dog, which my daughter told me I would love. She was right.

It's a hot dog wrapped in bacon. You would think that was enough, but wait: there's more! There's green chile, diced onions, mustard, mayonnaise and, be still that southern part of my heart, pinto beans.

You can't pick it up and eat it. You have to use a knife and fork, there are so many toppings. And every single bite is hot dog heaven.

If you love hot dogs like I love hot dogs, you must try a sonora dog. You. Simply. Must.

I now have a reason to return to the Great American Southwest. Oh, uh, um, to visit my daughter of course.


No comments: