Sunday, July 14, 2019

Object permanence

Okay, so maybe I don't always notice obvious things.

Yesterday I walked into my daughter's kitchen and noticed she had our kitchen table. That is, the table which was in my kitchen in Detroit for several years. And I thought, oh, they have our kitchen table.

On how many levels is that stupid? I helped them load the shipping container before Abby and John moved to Tucson. I've walked into my own kitchen hundreds of times in the past year. I had to have seen the table leaving the house or being packed. How could I not realize in more than 11 months that we had a different kitchen table in Detroit?

Still, yesterday it was oh, they have our kitchen table.

"Object permanence," my son-in-law suggested. Things are always simply there. Or not there, as the case may be.

It's permanent something, to be sure.


No comments: