Tuesday, February 23, 2021

A mostly successful weekend

I spent last weekend in Newark, Ohio visiting the Ohio Cosgriffs.  We were able to have a good family visit, talking and watching movies. We saw 300, which is a good movie about loyalty and honor, and Battlefield Earth, which is not a good movie on any level. Yet even that was made bearable because we watched with Rifftrax commentary. Rifftrax makes fun of movies, and Battlefield Earth was a slow pitch over the heart of the plate just asking to be skewered.

We made shopping trips to the local Ollie's Discount Store, whose slogan is 'good stuff cheap'. That was about the only disappointment. I was hoping to find Chase and Sanborn coffee (my coffee of choice) which is often at Ollie's. I haven't been able to find it at the Detroit area stores and, alas, it was not at the Newark Ollie's either. Rats.

But at the Newark (actually Heath, Ohio) Rural King, and I love Rural King, we found absolutely scads of red birch beer. Well, not scads, but dozens of quart bottles of the stuff. I love it; it's a form of root beer derived from the sap of red birch trees. I haven't been able to get that in the Detroit area, but Rural King saved the day. I bought 15 quarts. It's that good, and at 99 cents a bottle with no deposit (Ohio doesn't have a bottle deposit) it was a steal. It's made by Frostop. You should try it. I can sell you a bottle for...hell, I ain't selling it to you. Get your own.

So, it was a mostly successful weekend. For the Ohio Cosgriffs, my exit Monday morning was surely what made it a complete success. And as an aside, if any of you know where to get Chase and Sanborn I'd appreciate the tip.


No comments: