Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Ash Wednesday (funny but should I be?)

I am far too giddy about what I suppose is a minor milestone in my life. Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. For Catholics, that means we must fast (no more than one full meal although we can have two smaller ones to supplement it) and no meat today or Good Friday. 

Well, that's what it means for most Catholics. But for increasingly elderly Catholics such as yours truly, the rule changes. As I am 60, and the rule to fast ends at age 59, I don't have to fast. I can eat as much as I want.

Ok, I can't be a glutton, but that's a different area of sin. But short of that I can have all I want, although I still can't eat meat.

Yet even that is no cross to bear because I love fish! As a died in the wool mackerel smacker it doesn't bother me at all to be told I can only have fish. There are no first world poor Marty sighs on that account, no way. Bring. It. On.

Yeah, I guess that kinda begs the whole question of penance and discipline which Lent is supposed to instill in a guy, doesn't it? But hey, I'm following the rules.

Dare I say, faithfully?

No comments: