Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Taste or sentiment?

I'm a sandwich guy; I suspect many if not most guys are. Oh, I like more prepared foods. I even fire up the barby and grill red meat regularly during the summer months and even at times in the winter. And I can't wait to get back into restaurants and have full, more complete meals. But day in and day out, give me the quick lunch, slices of vegetable matter and meat matter between two starch planes as our friends the Coneheads would say. 

Yet you can't make a sandwich without bread, and I found myself without bread yesterday. So it was off to the neighborhood market in search of such a staple. 

While there I found that bologna was on sale. I like bologna: fate was with me that it be marked down. Eckrich too, not some knock off. Along with it, sharing the sale price, was cotto salami.

I haven't had cotto salami in years, perhaps not since I still lived with me folks way back when. I wasn't sure if I wanted it but then thought, hey, why not? I seem to remember it tasting good when I was a youth.

You know what? It tastes excellent. Far better than I can recall in fact. It's got the texture of bologna with a bit of the hard salami taste. But I do wonder whether it really tastes that good or if it's only sentiment talking, a flavor of growing up down the block coming back to me through the taste buds.

Or maybe it's just really good. Or maybe it doesn't matter, eh? Just enjoy it.

No comments: