Tuesday, February 16, 2021

It's how you say it

I had a doctor's appointment this morning. For those of you concerned about me (you are out there, aren't you?) it was nothing to worry about, just my regular checkup. Everything looks good.

Upon arrival the first thing I heard was, "Why are you here?" from a nurse. We had had a snowstorm overnight here in the D.

"Uh, I had a doctor's appointment," I replied, rather sheepishly considering it wasn't exactly a state secret. At least it should not have been to the staff.

So I get the routine physical and had blood drawn, and all looks good, although I won't of course know about the blood until after the tests. If all I get is a letter in the mail with the results as I typically do, they'll be fine. It's getting a call about them which would worry me!

When all was done the doctor instructed the nurse at the front desk to make my next appointment in August, and then he went about his doctorly way. The nurse turned to me and said, "Okay, we're giving you six months Mr. Cosgriff."

Feigning horror I replied, "I wish you wouldn't put it that way."

The young woman stared at me before bursting into laughter. "I see what you mean." Handing me a card with the time and date of the appointment (August 16 at 8:30 if you must know) she then said very certainly, "We will see you in six months, Mr. Cosgriff."

"Thank you," I said.


No comments: