Saturday, February 6, 2021

Banking on it

It's not easy to feel bad for a bank. I'm not exactly overwhelmed with grief about it either. It isn't actually even closing, but rather moving into new digs a few blocks away. So it's getting a new building, that's all. Still, my bank, the building I've went to for over forty years, is closing.

In a bit of serendipity the new place is actually right smack on the corner of Michigan and Turnbull, the site of old Tiger Stadium. And I mean smack on the corner, right where the old ticket office was where I bought literally hundreds of tickets to Detroit Tigers baseball over the years. That part is kind of cool.

But the bank building I've went to is closing. I still have accounts there; at least one of my children still does, and they all live out of state. Just the same, when I walked out of it yesterday I thought, I've been coming to this bank a long time. Me Pops actually met Sparky Anderson there: it was the old Tiger skipper's bank.

Yes, I have had many more many worse changes in my life. This one obviously pales compared to those and I don't want to draw too fine of a point. It's more a shaking my head type of reflection: everything eventually changes, right now down to the mundane and trivial in life. 

Why we even think of such things as ours is perhaps the really interesting question. I'll leave that for another day.

No comments: