Sunday, February 14, 2021

Best themes

There's a Hawaii Five-O marathon this weekend on the Decades channel. I've watched my share of episodes and intend to watch several more. But one thing above all else which seeing this classic show has reminded me: the Hawaii Five-O theme might be be the best TV theme ever. It just rocks.

Granted, many show themes are memorable. I always loved Hogan's Heroes: it's a great military cadence. Interestingly, it's closing theme may be better than than opener. On that angle, the closing credits for The Bob Newhart Show season two are outstanding. They may be my favorite closing credits ever. It rocks really well for a farewell.

St. Elsewhere had solid opening credits, as did its sister show Hill Street Blues. Andy Griffith's whistling opening is justifiably outstanding. One ranking I found on the Internet actually argues that the Gilligan's Island theme is the best ever. Although I like the song, calling it the GOAT of TV themes is a stretch.

All that being said, I'm open to suggestion on what truly is best. Just be aware that the Hawaii Five-O is the standard you're up against so far as I'm concerned.

No comments: