Tuesday, March 14, 2023

The Less Fortunate

As I had a yen for Chinese food this past Sunday, I dropped into the local Chinese carry out for a taste of General Tso's Chicken. I have no idea how the General might have been at war but he was good with chicken recipes.

With Chinese dinners, you have to have an egg roll. And, this is important, Won Ton soup. Only then may you lash into the main course. Your reward for being a good boy and eating all your din-din in the proper order, exciting the taste buds as you should? A fortune cookie!

I know of course that they hold nothing but vague sayings intended for fun, but I always enjoyed seeing what Dame Fortune might have in my future just the same. At one time I had actually collected all the fortunes from such treats, though who knows where they are now. Anyway, it was in the right mindset that I broke open my fortune cookie.

And there was no fortune. The paper must have burned up during the baking process.


No comments: