Friday, March 10, 2023

Friday Snow Special

Last Friday in the D, we got snow, around 5 inches depending on exactly where you were in the region. Today for the second straight Friday, the forecast calls for snow again, anywhere from 4 to 8 inches.

The winter has been mild so far. I suppose it only figures that we couldn't get away with too little snow. Maybe winter is saying, "Michigan, hold my Vernors."

But another thought hit me: are our winters becoming back loaded, so to speak? Growing up, I seem to recall that by about mid November we would see our first significant snow. By March, we'd be happily sliding into spring. Yet the last several years it feels as though Novembers and even Decembers have been relatively warm. Cold and snow have been holding on well into March and April. A couple of years ago, not once but twice, I had snow flurries dancing around me on my morning walks. In May.

Is that just me? Or is there something to that theory? Are winters skewed from what they once were?

No comments: