Saturday, March 4, 2023

Blinded By The Light

Wet, heavy snow fell on Detroit yesterday. Fun times. And in making my first pass clearing the walks around my house I had one of the the worst scares in recent memory. 

When I began shovelling it was still light out. Well, light enough on a cloudy, winter day that the street lamps hadn't come on anyway.  Forest Avenue alongside my house is a four lane one-way. It's not a terribly busy street but it is active. When I was just past a streetlight on that side of the house, the light came on.

That first instant of sudden brightness over my shoulder startled me something awful. Why? Because I immediately thought it was a car coming straight at me from behind. I actually cringed and tensed up, expecting a sudden and rather unpleasant crash with me at the epicenter.

Then the angel on my shoulder assured me it was just the street lamp. After she opened her eyes from the scare herself, of course.

No comments: