Sunday, March 26, 2023

In Review

It's nice to be garnering the amount of reviews which my books have been getting lately. It helps that the bulk of them are positive; three tales are averaging above four on Amazon's five star ranking system while the one book below that is still 3.9, so I'm happy. And as with so many other things in life, with the results I'm getting I wish I'd taken more interest in direct promotion much earlier than this. But so it goes, and there's always a degree to which self promotion should be uncomfortable, I think.

Even some of the less stellar reviews are helpful. One person remarked that I use adverbs too often. I don't use them as frequently as she claims (adverbs are nowhere near in every paragraph I write, despite her assertion) but I do overuse them. I'll be careful about that in the future. I will readily, unceasingly, routinely avoid them.

That's an adverb joke. Seriously, though, if you want to have fun with adverbs, look up Tom Swifties. Some of them are hilarious.

The compliments I'm receiving are nice ego builders but are fraught with peril for exactly that reason. They can go to your head. I know me well enough to know that that's dangerous. I suppose the best idea is to take the positives with a grain of salt and the negatives with a reasonably thick skin.

Anyway, I'll stick to the plan and see where it leads. It's been a fun ride so far.

No comments: