Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Inventing the Obvious

My breakfast yesterday was quite enjoyable: all the foods my doctors want me to excise from my diet, or at least cut back on significantly. The latter may one day happen. Yes, it could. The former? I'm somewhere between uproarious laughter and positive scorn at the idea.

That bit of drollery aside, this past Tuesday morning my first meal of the day featured hash browns, scrambled eggs, and Vermont maple sausages, all home made in the sense that the foods were purchased at the local supermarket and brought home essentially just to heat up. While eating the last tasty links of maple infused sausage it occurred to me: while I bought them frozen courtesy of Banquet Brown and Serve, where did they get the idea of mixing maple syrup with sausage?

I was doing that literally decades ago, allowing the syrup from my pancakes to blend with pork sausages on my plate when I was a young lad. I have to imagine many other folks did too. It's a great taste combination, likely melded in many a common household kitchen. How does Banquet get the credit for making them a breakfast staple?

This has all the markings of a class action suit my friends. But where can we ever find lawyers who will sue for millions of dollars, keep the bulk for legal fees, and give the rest of us ten bucks each?




No comments: