Saturday, November 19, 2022

Old Curling Injury

I've been complaining about pain in my left ankle for several months now. Sure, I've complained about other things. But the ankle is nearest and dearest to me.

Yesterday I went to my orthopedist for the results of my CAT scan from this past Wednesday. There is what amounts to a divot or pothole towards the top side of my talus bone. It has filled with heavy liquid, forming a cyst. When I irritate the cyst - pow - ankle pain. Bad ankle pain sometimes.

For the time being we're going to employ pain management strategies; the Doc says surgically removing the cyst and filling in the pothole/divot should only come when and if the injury begins to interfere with everyday life. It may require an ankle replacement (I didn't know that was a thing) but that's a long way off if needed at all. He did give me a light brace to wear between the ankle and my shoe when the pain is bad enough to warrant it.

So the news isn't terrible. I can make do with that treatment plan, at least for the foreseeable future. 

I asked him if the injury was always there but undiscovered until lately, or if I had done something to cause it. He explained that most such injuries occur due to a fairly constant, repetitive motion over a long period of time, "Yet I can't imagine what that could have been," he finished.

I could. I curl.

Without going into a lot of detail, as a right handed curler I put a lot of pressure on my left foot when delivering a curling stone, and I played for around 35 years. When telling the doctor that he replied, "That might well have caused it, yes, although we can't really know for sure."

Well, I'm running with it anyway. My bum ankle is the result of an old curling injury. Prove me wrong.

No comments: