Monday, January 16, 2023

I Don't Have To If I Don't Want To

In the news today, I have a dentist appointment on March 8. Earth shattering, I know. It will be my first such check up in 15 or 17 years.

I've been avoiding it. I have lost two permanent teeth, both molars. The doctor, I fear, will be all talk about crowns and bridges, implants and dentures. I like to think I'm sensible enough to do what's best. Yet I hate to think about any of it. Add in my inherent male laziness about health in general, and you see why I kept putting off a visit to the dentist.

Then it occurred to me: so long as I pay for the initial examination, I don't have to do a doggone thing he says. There ain't nothing I gotta do without my own approval. So why not do my due diligence and find out what he thinks?

Still, that's a Hell of a way to convince yourself to do something for your own good, isn't it?

No comments: