Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Wednesday Warblings

Detroit, Michigan, where I habitate (it must be a word because I just said it) is expecting 4 to 8 inches of snow today. Well, it was as of yesterday when I typed this up, that is. But can cities as cities expect anything, or does that only actually apply to the people within them? Either way, who knows what tomorrow might bring? Er, will bring.

The worst thing about a heavy snow is the mere anticipation. We know, so far as weathercasters can know (a thing of doubt in itself) that it's coming. You also know you can do nothing about it. You just gotta wait.

For me, interestingly, once the snow in fact begins there's a feeling of relief. My mind says okay, it's started, it really is here, now it's simply a matter of dealing with it. So I deal with it, making passes of shoveling the sidewalks at regular intervals, the intervals dependent on precisely how fast the snow is falling. It's easier to clear the white stuff a bit at a time than all at once. Then you get a coffee or hot chocolate break while sitting at the computer, trying to be an amateur weather wonk on your own, attempting to guess when it will end by studying the same radar on four different web pages. Or at least determining when you need to trudge out again for another swipe at the accumulation. And figuring when to put the kettle on.

So I dread the snow coming but then relax at its arrival. It's what I do. Why, I dunno.

No comments: