Friday, January 6, 2023

Just Say No

I know that most readers prefer that I don't talk about politics, and I get it. Politics are something of a disease, quite frankly, and we make the game far more important than it ought to be. Still, I'll talk politics today, but I'll be brief.

As I hammer this out, Kevin McCarthy has lost a seventh straight vote in trying to become Speaker of the House. This means that House of Representatives can't organize itself. Many folks bemoan the disarray. Me? I welcome it.

Government ought to be inefficient. It ought to be difficult for the government to get things done. The entire reason we have the great Constitution we do is to diffuse power, precisely to keep things from happening too quickly. When things happen too quickly, well, COVID.

It might be better if this never gets resolved. If the new House can't be formed, Washington can't do anything. That might just be a dramatic improvement over how Congress typically acts: so very adept at forcing bad ideas and disastrous spending upon us. Not only our grandchildren but our great grandchildren (and their children) will yet be quite literally paying the price of 2023 government because of that.

So don't elect a Speaker. Don't organize government. I could live with that.

No comments: